News Archives - March 2007
- Expansion Pack Announced!
- Posted by Crazed Ewok on March 31, AD 2007 @ 2:45 AM
- You heard it right! The first expansion pack (hopefully the first of many), Medieval 2: Total War Kingdoms, has been announced by The Creative Assembly!
The year is 1258 and England has emerged as a superpower, with a firm grip on the provinces of the British Isles. However, as the English, your forces are spread thinly with the threat of rebellion looming large. Wales and Ireland are poised, ready to rise up and exploit the exposed English provinces. The Scots meanwhile, are squeezed between Englandís expansion to the North and the growing Viking presence that threatens their shores. These five kingdoms are set to battle for supremacy in a fast-paced, war strewn campaign that delivers huge battles for high stakes. - TotalWar.com
In the coming days we will hope to have much more information on the expansion pack, but in the mean time, you can go here to read the full scoop!
Also, please come to our Medieval 2 discussion board to speculate about the latest chapter in the Total War series!
- HOWTO: Install Medieval II: Total War patch 1.1 and use the unpacker
- Posted by yakcamkir on March 29, AD 2007 @ 2:34 PM
Marcus Orentius has typed up an excellent guide to using the unpacker with patch 1.1. It can be found here.
- Ultimate Writer Competition - Reminder
- Posted by yakcamkir on March 28, AD 2007 @ 6:37 AM
Just a reminder that the deadline for Round 1 of the Ultimate Writer Cometition is midnight forum time on Saturday March 31st.
If you wish to enter, then Email an article to yakcamkir.
- M2TWH Forum Party VI: 1st April
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on March 27, AD 2007 @ 5:50 PM
- Recruit those boyar sons and their dismounted cousins. We've a golden horde to stop here!
Check out the times and let us know if you'll be there in the forum party VI thread.
- The Third Crusade
- Posted by D Furius Venator on March 24, AD 2007 @ 5:42 PM
- Psycho Dan's first article describes the crusade that featured Richard the Lionheart and his great rival Phillip of France. I'm pleased to say it won't be his last. Click here to read it.
- Mongols are coming - New history article on battles of Liegnitz & Mohi
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on March 23, AD 2007 @ 11:19 AM
- Bloodswan has sent in a sterling history of the battles of Liegnitz & Mohi, which were the high tide mark of the Mongol invasion of Europe. It's great to get articles which look at different areas of history and this is a high benchmark for others to match. You can read it here.
My sincere apologies for getting the author name wrong. It's hard to keep up with all your submissions ;)
- M2TWH Forum Party V: 18th March
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on March 18, AD 2007 @ 4:46 AM
- There's a chill in the air so everybody should be indoors playing M2TW this evening. It will take place on Sunday 18th March. Sorry about the short notice but I'm only just back from hols.
Check out the times and let us know if you'll be there in the forum party V thread.
- The thoughts of CA Staff...
- Posted by yakcamkir on March 16, AD 2007 @ 6:52 AM
Have you ever wondered what the CA Staff thought about Medieval 2: Total War and how they play it? Here is your chance to find out.
Peter Brophy: Castles! My campaign strategy is to pump out as many units as possible as fast as possible and overwhelm the opposition. My empire always seems to collapse after a while though. Perhaps I should try a more balanced approach...?
- The Turks!
- Posted by yakcamkir on March 11, AD 2007 @ 7:45 PM
dsmi1 has sent in a Battle Strategy article for the Turks.
Naffatun! Love them. 380 florins a go is excellent in my opinion. Get two, or ten. Two is probably enough though. Use them well and you can raise your chances of winning considerably. Don't and you have wasted 760 florins. 23 Armour Piercing (AP) missile attack is unreal. Get them around the side, throw the bombs and create havoc. They devastate enemy morale too. If your opponent lets them go unchecked you can tear the main line up quick smart. I couldn't say enough good things about Naffatun, and their price is amazing. If you cant afford your Hashishim special units, go for some Naffatun!
- Announcing the Medieval 2: Total War Heaven Ultimate Writer Competiton!
- Posted by yakcamkir on March 7, AD 2007 @ 7:02 PM
We are proud to announce the first M2TWH competition - the Ultimate Writer Competition!
This is a writing competition with a Medieval 2: Total War flavour. There are five rounds and a different piece of writing will be needed for each one (obviously). Each entry is marked out of twenty and the overall winner is the person with the highest cumulative score. All entires should be sent to yakcamkir marked M2TW Competiton. Only one entry per person per round will be accepted (I know there are people out there who can write five good articles in a month, but if that's the case then just pick the best).
Round 1 closes at Midnight Forum Time on Sunday 31st March. Good luck to all entrants!
- Holy Romans & Trouble in Flanders
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on March 7, AD 2007 @ 11:49 AM
- We have two new articles in the M2TWH History section. One is an overview of the Holy Roman Empire by SirDracko, which you can read here and the other is an overview of the Flemish cities featured in the game, Bruges & Antwerp by Kor, which you can read here.
Read all our history articles by clicking here or on the funky updated navbar to the left.
- He's churning them out!
- Posted by yakcamkir on March 6, AD 2007 @ 5:14 PM
EnemyofJupitor has sent in another great article on agents, this time he discusses the use of spies.
Cities, however (especially the bigger ones) are easy pickings for your spy teams, especially higher level ones. So, if you see a big garrison in a city, don't bother going head on straight away- train some spies, give them a couple of missions to get their levels up and then hit the city with multiple 5+ spies. You can make a city throw off the rulers and replace the huge garrison with (hopefully) a smaller and easier rabble to defend the walls. That's when your army comes a-knocking; sustaining marginally less casualties than if you'd just gone bull headed.
- French Chivalry Crushed at Crecy!
- Posted by D Furius Venator on March 6, AD 2007 @ 7:33 AM
- Another Historical Battle article, which you can read here.
- Two new Campaign Strategies
- Posted by yakcamkir on March 5, AD 2007 @ 1:58 PM
The Campaign Strategy page now has two articles.
EnemyofJupitor has written an excellent article on the use of priests.
You will find your favour going up especially when you've got priests everywhere spreading the faith. You have to execute heretics quickly before they spread Heresy in your lands- a big no-no- and the rating usually goes sky high when you have all your regions on at least 85% or upwards Catholicism. As likely as not you'll need to put multiple priests in the area to make it go quickly, depending on the piety ability.
It's well worth a read and can be found here.
Gaius Colinius has written an equally excellent guide to playing as England.
You may get a mission or be tempted otherwise to take Bruges until you have secured the British Isles. Avoid this temptation but I do stress that this is my personal preference. While Rennes has the Atlantic to its rear. Bruges has French to the south and the Holy Roman Empire to the east once they take Antwerp. Towards the middle of the game, the Danes will probably take Antwerp. You really don't want to be in a war with these three factions when the home countries are not yet secure. You'll be getting warnings from the Pope and all that so stick with Caen & Rennes until you are ready to move all troops to France. If you don't already have a family member in Caen, move a young one across.
- Historical Battles
- Posted by D Furius Venator on March 4, AD 2007 @ 7:59 AM
- Our Historical Battles section is now open for business with articles on Bannockburn and the murderous Battle of Shrewsbury, a precursor to the Wars of the Roses.
Read all about them here.
More to come shortly! Please feel free to email Gaius or myself with accounts of your favourite battles too.
- In search of staff
- Posted by Crazed Ewok on March 1, AD 2007 @ 8:58 PM
- With the sad resignation of Jax, M2TWH and RTWH are in need of a downloads administrator. We are looking for someone who is somewhat active in our forums and has knowledge of both Medieval 2: Total War and Rome: Total War. We'd also like this staff member to have some experience in modifying the games (ideally, both).
If you'd like to apply (and intend to follow through with the process), please send your forums username, how long you've been at TWH, why you think you should have the position, any contributions you've made so far and anything else you'd like to say (experience in HTML/CSS, what modding work you have done). Contributions to our site so far will give you better chances of being accepted. Please send your application to Crazed Ewok.
Thank you and good luck!
- Jax is resigning!
- Posted by Jax on March 1, AD 2007 @ 5:30 PM
- That's right, I am resigning! My reign (under Cray and GoS, of course) was a little short lived at TWH, but I enjoyed my time here nevertheless.
Visit this thread to find out more and say bye to me.
- M2TW Forum Party IV
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on March 1, AD 2007 @ 6:11 AM
- It's that time of week again when we put on our plate armour and gear up for a session of M2TW gaming. It will take place on Sunday 4th March.
Check out the times and let us know if you'll be there in the forum party thread.