News Archives - May 2008
- Kingdoms on the ladder!
- Posted by EnemyofJupitor on May 27, AD 2008 @ 5:51 AM
Following a spate of excellent Kingdoms games, we have decided to allow Kingdoms games to be submitted to the ladder. Stay tuned for more ladder news.
- Bandito strikes again!
- Posted by EnemyofJupitor on May 26, AD 2008 @ 4:41 AM
Another replay review from el_bandtio, this time covering the ladder match between EnemyofJupitor (Me) and Rheims...
If this match was an actual battle, it would surely become etched into the annals of history by its fierceness and awesome leadership. Both sides had made virtually fool proof decisions on time and both sides had committed maximum pressure on each others weakest spot. EoJ triumphed in the end only by the skin of his teeth...
Read his narration and overview here.
- Empire: Total War Motion Capture 'Making Of'
- Posted by Mechstra on May 24, AD 2008 @ 9:30 AM
- Gametrailers have a video on their site showing how the animators at Creative Assembly are dealing with motion capture, which is being used for the first time in a Total War game. According to CA, this lets them get far more work done with the animation in a shorter time, which is surely good news for those who want more cinematic-looking battles and also for those who want them to spend more time on the AI!
Watch the video here, and marvel at the music and the snippets of animation!
- Replay review II
- Posted by EnemyofJupitor on May 23, AD 2008 @ 10:59 AM
el_bandito has been buisy recently, and has rolled another replay review off the rack, this time of the ladder game between Rheims and Gaius Colinius.
There were many factors which decided the outcome of the match; such as the vast superiority of the gunpowder vs. bow and arrow in flat landscape and high maneuverability of cavalry in such an open ground which greatly helped Rheims. Gaius might have thought he chose the map well when he played on Arsuf but it was actually a death trap intended for him
Read it in full here. Keep up the good work, Bandito!
- Replay reviews
- Posted by EnemyofJupitor on May 19, AD 2008 @ 12:51 PM
Forumer el_bandito has put together an excellent replay review here, on a ladder match between former leader Wolfpsycho and Aftermath. In a very thorough post, he concludes as follows-
In hindsight, what Afty should have done was to let Wolfie come down the hill, or at least flank him from a distance with all his army and render his carefully laid stakes useless. Assaulting a heavily defended heigths head-on without having at least 2 to 1 advantage is simply what every self respecting commander should avoid and it has been proven here again
See a few more of Bandito's reviews in this thread here.
- Two new history articles!
- Posted by Kor on May 17, AD 2008 @ 4:31 PM
- Two new history articles join our growing database today: one dealing with the complicated history of the Gaels of Scotland, written by gallowglass, and another by Count Mummolus, giving us a detailed look at Byzantium in the 11th Century. Enjoy!
- First E:TW Land Battle Screenshots
- Posted by Mechstra on May 12, AD 2008 @ 3:12 PM
- The newest edition of PC Gamer UK has a large feature on Empire: Total War, and the screenshots from the issue have been put online at Games Radar. They include some spectacular shots of land battles, with more crossbelts and whiffs of grapeshot than you can shake a War of Jenkin's Ear at.
Take a look at them here.
- Ladder tug-of-war!
- Posted by EnemyofJupitor on May 7, AD 2008 @ 10:36 AM
A great many games have been played since my last update. A new challanger, Rheims, has rode onto the scene, getting several victories in a row before having his streak ended by myself in a very close game. He could well be a strong challanger for the title of leader in the future- keep your eyes peeled!
However, Swamprat has been very active, winning enough victories to overtake Poqzt as Ladder Leader! Congratulations, Swamp- enjoy your custom title that ladder leaders now get while it lasts!