News Archives - August 2008
- New ETW Articles
- Posted by SubRosa on August 29, AD 2008 @ 12:48 PM
- Several new ETW articles have been released in the aftermath of the Leipzig Game Convention, or the Battle of Leipzig (which several interviews had the chance to play using the new ETW land battle system).
Gamespy has a very in-depth article here, which goes into detail on the new land battles, using the above-mentioned Battle of Leipzig as a showcase of the new AI, which will decide its objectives on the battlefield in relation to what is happening on the Campaign Map. This new Battlefield AI will use terrain to its advantage as never before. Among other things it will have its troops hide in buildings and wait deep in cities, forcing enemies to come at them in narrow streets where their artillery and cavalry cannot be brought to bear.
That is just the tip of the iceberg, as the article also covers aspects such as the different forms of government the player can have (including revolutions), as well as taxation, and the total revamping of the Strat Map's city management system.
To top that off Total Video Games has an article here that continues the news goodness in an interview with Kieran Bridges of the CA, who talks about pirates (yes there are Pirates in ETW, and they are playable in Custom Battles!), multiplayer options, and more.
You can find links to all of the Leipzig articles here on the Official Empire Total War site.
Finally, you can come here to our ETW forum to discuss these amazing enhancements to the TW game engine.
- ETW Landbattle article at Gamespot
- Posted by Hussarknight on August 25, AD 2008 @ 10:19 AM
As some of you may be aware, a large games convention is currently being held in Leipzig, Germany. At this convention SEGA has for the first time showed working land battles! Gamespot has written an article about the demonstration and what they have to say looks very promising. Apparently we won't only be able to garrison units inside buildings, Gamespot's articles also mentions the use of minefields!
- New modding article for M2TW: A Guide to the export_descr_buildings.txt file
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on August 24, AD 2008 @ 7:04 AM
- The Arch-alchemist Mythic Commodore tired of simple transmutations, such as creating new units and investigated new & exciting elixir relating to the export_descr_buildings.txt file.
Mythic Commodore has kindly shared his secret recipe with us so that we too can understand some of the arcane text files that govern the behaviour of M2TW. You can view the recipe at the link above or visit the new and growing collection of modding articles for Medieval 2: Total War here. You should also visit the feedback thread to leave thanks and comments.
- New Faction Overview: Scotland
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on August 22, AD 2008 @ 8:59 PM
- The faction overview for Scotland is up and you can view it here. Once again, EnemyofJupitor used his vast experience to write the unit & campaign overviews and Kor used his encyclopaedic knowledge of history to write the introduction paragraph on the index page for faction overviews.
Only 2 playable vanilla factions left to cover now: Portugal & Moors. I hope they are of use to ye guys! If you have feedback or suggestions to share, visit the thread on our forums and let us know your thoughts.
- New in-game video of E:TW and a brand new site!
- Posted by Kor on August 13, AD 2008 @ 11:12 AM
- There is a new video out showing actual in-game footage of ships in the upcoming Empire: Total War. You can view the video here. Thanks go to Intrepid from Creative Assembly for pointing it out to us here - you can also use this topic to discuss the footage, which shows the American and British fleets fighting it out using massive broadsides and boarding actions. Apart from that, there's wonderful water to oggle at, as well as some spectacular explosions.
Also, a brand new official Empire: Total War site has gone live. You can visit it here. Note that the soldier has a different appearance on the different language sites available!
Props to Smileyman007 for pointing this out; you can discuss the site in the topic he created here.
- ETW US Box Art Caption Competition
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on August 7, AD 2008 @ 7:25 PM
- We've been running a small little contest on our forums to pass the time until more Empire: Total War news comes out. The idea of the contest was to come up with captions for the image on the US Box Art for Empire: Total War. We've had some good submissions which are listed below but the winner is:
"What do you mean Vermont want in? I just designed the damn flag with 13 stars and it's gonna stay at 13 stars!!"from cherub007.
The runners up were as follows:
"This is my musket. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." - Ubernoober
"MY LEGS ARE MADE OF BOATS!" - Ecthelion
"This is SPARTA!!!!!!!!" - SubRosa
"Remind me again why I'm ten feet in front of everyone?" - Leo IV
"With that many men holding flags, how many guns can we possibly have?" - Smileyman007
"Argh! Those ships have set my britches on fire!" - Guy Fawkes
"This game costs how much?" - Guy Fawkes
"Hi, I'm Barry Scott and these are my big ships!" - LordTaeglan
"Achoo" - SwampRat
- New Faction Overview: Egypt
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on August 6, AD 2008 @ 6:13 PM
- The faction overview for Egypt is up and you can view it here. This is a slightly unusual overview in that I did up the tables & stuff but EnemyofJupitor used his vast experience to write the unit & campaign overviews and Kor used his encyclopaedic knowledge of history to write the introduction paragraph on the index page for faction overviews.
The good news is that there are only 3 playable vanilla factions left to cover and one of those is half done. After these three are complete, there will be a big push on getting the non-playable factions done (Papal States, Mongols, Timurids & Aztecs) before pushing onto the Kingdoms overviews.
I hope they are of use to ye guys! If you have feedback or suggestions to share, visit the thread on our forums and let us know your thoughts.
- Mongolphobia released!
- Posted by EnemyofJupitor on August 5, AD 2008 @ 4:50 AM
Our Mongolian friend, el_bandito, has been hard at work in giving the Mongols and Tirumids an un-needed boost. His units are now ready to rock and roll all over your empire with some very scary units- from Mongol Smoke bombers all the way to Devilís Tongue Elephants. Ouch!
As a player who has trouble with them anyway, I can't wait to be steamrolled (not)!
- Update on forum party times
- Posted by EnemyofJupitor on August 3, AD 2008 @ 6:45 AM
The revised time (thank you, british summer time for getting me in a muddle!) will be 6 GMT time. This means if you live in Britain, log on at 7pm, Europe at 8pm, and the Americas at 1pm EST. Thank you.
- Forum party- Summer fun and 1v1s!
- Posted by EnemyofJupitor on August 2, AD 2008 @ 5:22 AM
If you live in Britain, chances are it's going to rain this weekend. If you live elsewhere, stay inside anyway, and log onto the Teutonic Kingdoms campaign for some multiplayer action!
The theme this time round is 1v1s, and we'll be getting online around 7pm GMT, or 4 EST time. For further info go here. See you there!