News Archives - September 2007
- From Our CEO Socvazius...
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on September 23, AD 2007 @ 5:21 PM
- Comes the following announcement for all Heavens:
After considerable deliberation, the owners have decided that one major inhibiting factor for HeavenGames' prosperity is the simple fact that it doesn't have a clearly defined identity. It has always been a site about games, but that is far too vague for the development of any clear goals and the effective marketing of the site.
We have thus discussed the issue with our staff and decided that we should make HeavenGames a site entirely geared towards community. At its core, HeavenGames always has been about building the best communities possible, so it only makes sense that we devote all of our resources to that service...(Read more!)
- 3 New History Articles
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on September 19, AD 2007 @ 8:18 PM
- We've got three new history articles in and they are all from Bloodswan. The first deals with the Battle of Kulikovo which was the first major Russian victory over the Mongols. The next article is a biography of the remarkable Admiral Yi Sun-shin, who makes Nelson seem like a tugboat captain with the sheer scale of his accomplishments. The third article is a quality overview of The Mongol invasions of Korea. I didn't know very much about the era so I was eager to have a read of it myself.
There's more great articles in the pipeline. Keep your eyes peeled for them being newsied here.
- Unit Cards Tutorial
- Posted by yakcamkir on September 16, AD 2007 @ 12:02 PM
Primo has made an excellent thread on how to make new unit cards in M2TW. If you're an aspiring modder and want to learn how to do it, then have a look here.
- Total War Heaven goes YouTubing!
- Posted by yakcamkir on September 16, AD 2007 @ 11:35 AM
You can also see our first strategy article making use of videos here.
I hope you enjoy the new multimedia we have access to. :-)
- Crazed Ewok's Resignation
- Posted by yakcamkir on September 16, AD 2007 @ 6:22 AM
It is with great sadness that we announce the resignation of Crazed Ewok as Seraph of Medieval 2: Total War Heaven. As Seraph he has been primarily responsible for the running of the site since he took over along with GloryofSparta about 18 months ago and has been a huge success. We wish him all the best in his future endeavours, both at HG and in all other aspects of his life.
Please thank him for his service in this thread.
- M2TW Gunpowder Only Forum Party IX Sunday 16th September
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on September 12, AD 2007 @ 9:24 PM
- Seeing as Empire: Total War has been announced, it's only right and proper that we should hold a Gunpowder Only Forum Party to get people into the swing of things. It's quite simple: you can only select units that use a gunpowder weapon of some sort. It should certainly shake things up for those who have mastered the traditional art of total war M2TW style. Pop into the Forum Party thread to let us know if you'll be there.
- TWH Review of M2TW: Kingdoms
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on September 12, AD 2007 @ 9:02 PM
- I've been playing Kingdoms since it came out and put together a review of the expansion which hopefully will whet the appetites of those who haven't bought it yet. PC Zone & PC Gamer gave the release a 90% rating and I have to say........read the review and find out for yourselves ;)
Here's what I had to say about the graphics & game performance:
Needless to say, the game looks beautiful. I'm lucky enough to be able to run the game on high settings and the quality of the detail & animations is staggering. While you would expect this to impact on game performance, I couldn't help but notice that the campaign game runs noticeably smoother than in M2TW. The battles show no change in performance with speed being roughly similar to vanilla M2TW battles.
- Britannia - Total War Mod
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on September 7, AD 2007 @ 7:25 AM
- One of our forumers, Primo is looking to create a new mod for Kingdoms. In his own words, his aims are to:
This mod is planned to tweak and extend the Britannia campaign in M2TW: Kingdoms.
It will include new units, lots of reskinning, tweaks to stats and(maybe) the map extended to Norway and Normandy.
So far, I have added a new unit, Highland Gunners, To help Scotland match England on Gunmen, and I have renamed almost all of the regions on the map.
cjones87 has already done some re-skinning work and you can view screenshots here. Primo is also looking for people to help out so if you're a coder, modeller, skinner or mapper and you're interested in joining in then have a look in this thread
- M2TW: Kingdoms Forum Party VIII Sunday 9th September
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on September 6, AD 2007 @ 7:53 PM
- It's been a while since we had a forum party and with Kingdoms just out, it's the perfect time for a Kingdoms forum party. Check out the details in this thread if you're coming along. Pack your pikes, claymores & longbows because there's English invaders to be kicked back to where they came from!
- M2TW Patch 1.3 released as standalone patch
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on September 6, AD 2007 @ 6:15 AM
- Patch 1.3 is out but for folks hoping to have hotseat enabled or the same unit rebalancing as Kingdoms, they are going to be disappointed as the patch is primarily intended to allow online vanilla M2TW compatibility between people who have installed Kingdoms & those who have not.
You must have patch 1.2 installed before installing 1.3!
You can download it from:
- CA release a note on Kingdoms Compatibility
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on September 6, AD 2007 @ 6:06 AM
- There's information on totalwar.com which will be of interest to folks looking to download Kingdoms. The gist of it is that you can only use a downloaded version of Kingdoms if you downloaded the original M2TW. If you bought a disc copy of M2TW, then you must buy a disc copy of kingdoms.
Now that the launch of Medieval II: Total War Kingdoms is almost here, there are a few things that you should know about compatibility between retail and downloaded versions! Because the Kingdoms expansion will use core game elements from your Medieval II: Total War game, it is required that you use the same distribution method for purchasing Kingdoms as you did in purchasing M2:TW. In clearer terms, if you purchased M2:TW at a retail location then purchase Kingdoms at a retail location, if you downloaded M2:TW from Steam then download Kingdoms from Steam, and so forth. We and our partners at Steam, Direct2Drive, and Digital River are working hard to prepare the downloadable versions and expect to have all available on the retail release date.