News Archives - September 2008
- Empire: Total War News September
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on September 25, AD 2008 @ 7:01 PM
- We've been awaiting news of the upcoming Empire: Total War with great interest and finally we have something new. For starters, there's a new trailer covering land battles. It's number 2 (of 5) and it gives a very comprehensive overview of what we can look forward to when the game comes out in February 2009. The graphics are once again staggering! Have a look at it here.
Now you might be looking at the graphics and shaking your head while thinking, "I'll never be able to run that" but there is hope yet.
CA have not released the minimum specification required, let alone the recommended specification but Stormer found a preview from Eurogamer (see here), which by and large is telling us stuff that we already know except for a few snippets. The one that really caught my eye was:
And, surprisingly, the minimum system requirements will be fairly low; a decent machine from two years ago should do the trick. And the engine is scalable for those that can handle the extra effects.
Last but not least, you can buy the game on pre-order from Play.com. Feel free to mock me for my leap of faith on our forums here.
- New history articles!
- Posted by Kor on September 21, AD 2008 @ 10:10 AM
- I have four new articles to report, one of which has already been up for a week or two but unfortunately went unreported. An impressive three of the articles are by Gallowglass, dealing with Scottish battles, namely the battles of Stirling Bridge (1297), Harlaw (1411), and Flodden (1513). I myself have written an article on the minor officials at court - the jesters, heralds, magicians, etc. You can read about them in detail here.
Enjoy all these, and if you get enthusiastic and want to contribute an article yourself, make sure to read the submission guidelines.
- New strategy guide! Portugal - The opening moves
- Posted by Aftermath on September 19, AD 2008 @ 11:35 AM
- The second in my series of opening moves guides is now up in the Strategy Articles section.
A campaign as Portugal can be an interesting one, first you have one of the best locations to conquer early on - The Iberian Peninsula. However you begin relatively weak, with your starting provinces cut off from each other and having to contend with the Moors and fellow Catholic faction Spain. This guide details the best opening moves to set you on your way to world domination from a strong powerbase in Iberia.
The guide itself can be found here. And why not add your own hints and tips for a Portugal campaign on our forums?
- Mongolphobia V2 is out!
- Posted by EnemyofJupitor on September 15, AD 2008 @ 10:57 AM
El_bandito does it again, this time turning to the alchemy lab. Version 2 of his 'Mongolphobia' mod is released, and a peek at his features list includes Timbuktu and Arguin being given to the Aztecs, Scotland and Russia gaining another settlement each, upping the number of artillary pieces from 2 to 3 in some cases, but also giving the Papal states a total of 6 'awesome but flawed' units for you to play with. Check out the full list and download here, and discuss in the Mongolphobia subforum here!
- Brand new article: The Prowess of Javelin Cavalry!
- Posted by Aftermath on September 15, AD 2008 @ 6:06 AM
- Missile cavalry are amongst the most feared units on the battlefield when in the right hands. el_bandito has written this guide to show off the uses and talents of Javelin Cavalry - mistakenly overlooked by some players. Take a read of their strengths, weaknesses, tactics and plenty of screenshots to show off how they can win many lop-sided battles alone.
The awesome article itself can be found here. Our strategy section with many more guides, here.
And why not swing by our forums to discuss more Javelin and Missile Cavalry tactics here.
- New article: Conquering as an Englishman, and as a Gentleman!
- Posted by Aftermath on September 10, AD 2008 @ 6:06 AM
- Resident Total War Heaven gentleman el_bandito has written a great guide detailing the ways of Chivalry in warfare and politics throughout Medieval Total War. An essential read with a nice undertone of humor.
You can find the strategy article itself here, and why not join us in the discussion on the forums?
I expect to see many more gentlemen on the battlefield, defending the honour of thou's loyal wyfe!
- Dedicated forums for mods at TWH
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on September 6, AD 2008 @ 10:14 AM
- You've probably noticed the two new forums on the forum listing and are wondering what fresh hell is this?. Well, we have some homegrown mods and it's time to give them some extra exposure so we're going to use mod sub-forums.
At the moment, they are not sub forums (10/10 for observation) but they will be soon. In the meantime, do pop into Mongolphobia Mod by el_bandito and Amazon: Total War by SubRosa to see what they have to offer.
Amazon: Total War is a mod for RTW and it features two new Amazon factions, that of Amazonia and their rival New Amazonia. Amazonia is a monarchy founded thousands of years ago on the north-eastern coast of Asia Minor, and replaces the faction of Pontus. On the other hand New Amazonia is a democracy that was founded by lost Amazonian soldiers in the forests north of Scythia (others of whom would also create the state of Sarmatia). Both belong to a new culture, with new units, generals, retinue members, and traits.
SubRosa is constantly working on it so it's not in a final release form but you can download a beta release. Head on over to the forum to find out more.
Mongolphobia Mod is a mod for M2TW Kingdoms that utilises the retrofit mod. It features the two previously unplayable factions; The Mongols, and the Timurids with freshly buffed strengths and brand new units. It also adds the Papal States and rebels.
The mod is created by el bandito who is of the opinion that the Mongols are not already hard enough to fight so he has buffed them considerably. He has also made changes to units from other factions. He has also added a number of very fun units like inferno catapults and smoke bombers.
You can discuss this here if you wish and if you want to find out how to get a sub-forum for your own mod, click here.
- New Empire: Total War Interview with CA
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on September 6, AD 2008 @ 9:42 AM
- Strategyinformer have interviewed CA on ETW and it seems that along with the standard Grand Campaign, we will also be getting an Episodic Campaign entitled The Road to Independence which is a first for the Total War series.
As well as that protecting trade routes will become very important so all powers will need to be maritime powers to maintain their position.
Agent types are being trimmed somewhat. Spies & assassins have been replaced with "Rakes" and there's a new agent class called "Gentlemen".
Naval battles can feature up to 20 ships on each side.
The campaign & battle AI will now "talk to each other" and work together, which hasn't happened in previous Total War games.
CA plan to make this a very moddable game, which is great news for the legions of modders out there.
There's no word on the minimum specification required to run the game but it will definitely be DX9 compatible so it will run on both XP & Vista.
Visit the thread here to see for yourself. Many thanks to Stormer for the heads up.
- Tips Of the Week updated!
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on September 6, AD 2008 @ 7:41 AM
- The Medieval 2: Total War Tips of the Week page has been updated with no less than five new tips from our experienced and knowledgeable forumers. They include tips on how to best use cannon-type artillery, maximising merchant income and my favourite use of javelin-throwing cavalry. Visit the pageto see them all and visit the thread on the forums if you have some of your own to suggest.