News Archives - October 2007
- Latest Kingdoms Faction Overview: Ireland
- Posted by Scotty the Fallen on October 31, AD 2007 @ 8:13 PM
- The latest Kingdoms Faction Overview is now ready for your perusal and this time we're featuring the Irish faction from the Britannia campaign. They are an interesting faction to play because their infantry is nowhere near as strong as other factions but they do have a few very powerful units, such as Mounted Calivermen and Horseboys.
You can read the overview here and visit our Kingdoms Faction Overview section here.
Posted by Foamy on behalf of Gaius. Please do not adjust your monitor.
- Spooky happenings on TWH forums
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on October 31, AD 2007 @ 7:49 AM
- There have been funny sounds and strange sightings on the TWH forums. Do drop in and help us to drive the evil demons away by posting your thoughts in this thread.
- Welcome back to TWH Chonaman
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on October 31, AD 2007 @ 7:41 AM
- Chonaman is joining the TWH staff to give us a hand with RTW moderation & content. He has worked for the heaven before and was most recently working for Rise & Fall Heaven. He has a huge amount of experience with Rome: Total War and is very approachable. Please drop in to congratulate him on our forums here.
- New Kingdoms Faction Overview: Byzantine Empire
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on October 25, AD 2007 @ 6:59 PM
- Count Mummolus decided to give us a hand out by copying the source html from the Teutonic Order faction overview and adapting it to suit the Byzantine Empire. This was a very welcome surprise and you can read the overview here.
Keep your eyes peeled for the Irish faction overview coming next week. No complaints about the biased choice please ;)
- Total War Heaven: Looking for new staff
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on October 25, AD 2007 @ 12:10 PM
- We're looking for new people to help out with staff duties on Total War Heaven. Full details are available here but the short version is that we are looking for:
- Total War Heaven Download Reviewers
- Rome: Total War Heaven Content Contributors
- an Empire: Total War News & Content Contributor
If you're interested, please send an email to yakcamkir and tell us a little about why you think you are best suited to the post. Do mention any experience you have that may be relevant to this role. It doesn't have to be an essay but four-line applications are unlikely to be successful either.
- Empire:Total War FAQ
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on October 24, AD 2007 @ 10:14 AM
- If you visit the official Total War Blog, you can read the Q&A released by CA on Empire: Total War.
Below are a few snippets. Discuss these in our forums here.
Will religion play an important role in Empire: Total War?
It's clear that the Enlightenment caused a few headaches for some of the clergy of the time. With that in mind, religious issues are still relevant in Empire, but less important than in Med II. The Pope won't be dropping Lord Nelson a line asking him to retake the Holy Land, but religion does play a part in social order and diplomatic relations.
Will the game be moddable?
Of course. We've always wanted to encourage our modding community and help them out. There's been a lot of great work created for previous Total War titles and we'll be looking to encourage more of the same for Empire.
Will naval battles be fun and easy to command?
We're working hard to get a balance between ease of use and depth in naval combat. We're confident that we're heading in the right direction and it's already fun to play naval battles in the office, even roping in members of the CA staff who haven't been working on the naval stuff, so it can't be that hard to pick up!
- Britannia Campaign Guide!
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on October 15, AD 2007 @ 7:04 PM
- FrogBeastEgg on the TotalWar forums has been working on a guide to Total War: Kingdoms. The first part has been released and it covers the Britannia Campaign and it is very comprehensive. Anybody who has played the expansion will find this guide very useful. You can download it here
- Three New History Articles
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on October 12, AD 2007 @ 9:56 AM
- Once again Bloodswan is ensuring that our coverage of Mongol history is of top quality. Many thanks to him then for sending in two articles. The first deals with the Mongol invasions of south-east Asia and examines why the Mongols were not as successful as they had been previously. The second is an article on the attempted Mongol invasion of Japan, which thanks to weather and the bravery of the defending Japanese, resulted in failure.
Kor likes to cover periods of history that may not be familiar to all our visitors and his article on the Hussite wars is no exception. Do please be careful when being a heretic, being burnt at the stake is a common occupational hazard.
- Forumer Reviews for Kingdoms
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on October 12, AD 2007 @ 9:44 AM
- Some of our forumers also did reviews for M2TW: Kingdoms and I have added them to the official review. They were submitted by: Count Mummolus, SirDracko and blaster fodder. Many thanks guys.
- HeavenGames' Staff System: A Revamp
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on October 10, AD 2007 @ 8:09 PM
- Source: The HG Blog
So now that things have been settled with HG's identity, it's time to go on to the fun stuff: the staff system! Woo!
It's been discussed in a previous blog post that HeavenGames doesn't operate as efficiently as it could from a staff perspective. A lot of issues have already been dealt with in the past several months, but there are two substantial problems that must be taken care of. First, there is no effective way to ensure quality and consistency of work across all of our sites. Second, we do not have dedicated jobs in a number of support capacities, including marketing, sales, and the like.
Revamped Staff System
The owners have thus discussed the issue with the HeavenGames staff and have come up with the following system:
As you can see, HeavenGames will still be run fundamentally the same: the Exco - chaired by the CEO - makes all of the network-wide administrative decisions and Seraphs work under the Exco as site administrators. What will be added to the system will be a Seraph Liaison and Support Departments. First, the Seraph Liaison...(Read more!)
- Very First Kingdoms Faction Overview
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on October 10, AD 2007 @ 8:01 PM
- It's taken a lot of playing with the unpacker and re-writing html but the first (and not last) faction overview for Kingdoms is ready. I hereby roll out the red carpet for our new M2TW: Kingdoms Faction Overview section and the very first article in it, an overview of the mighty Teutonic Order. Feel free to drop into the forums to give feedback on the article and what faction you want covered next.
- Update to M2TWH Kingdoms Review - Music
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on October 4, AD 2007 @ 7:02 PM
- Our resident musician & awesome staffie EnemyofJupitor has written a very good review of the music in the expansion pack. You can read it and the rest of the review here.
One of Eoj's favourite bits is the "War of Kings" track and here is what he had to say about it:
There are not many gaming tracks that earn a place on my iTunes, but this is one of them. It is, however, piqued to my favourite track of Kingdoms by a piece that appears in both the Teutonic and Britannia campaigns, as well as on the Kingdoms trailer. Written by Jeff Van Dyke himself, it is titled 'War of Kings', and sends shivers down my spine when I hear it - it's that good. Horns, male voice choir, urgency, percussion solo, this piece has the lot.
There's more updates to come in the review once I've finished playtesting the Brittania & Holy Land Crusades campaigns.
- Today on the forums....
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on October 4, AD 2007 @ 6:20 PM
- General_II dug up an interesting thread for us today. It seems that a fellow by the name of thomash808 predicted Empire: Total War way back in November 2005, almost two years ago. He even got the name of the game bang on. Shame he didn't stick around to share his Nostradamus-like prophecy skills with us further.
- PC Zone Empire: Total War Preview published online
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on October 3, AD 2007 @ 7:47 PM
- The PC Zone preview of Empire: Total War which was previously only available in PC Zone magazine has now been published online in CVG. Read it here.
A few snippets for you to drool over:
Vessels will be able to let fly with chain shot, grapeshot, musket fire and cannonballs, which you can aim at your foes' destructible sails, decks and/or hulls so they sink faster than Robert Maxwell.
You can also opt to grapple and board enemy ships for exciting fights on-deck with muskets and sabres, any captured ships becoming part of your fleet, and thus available for use in subsequent battles.
Yes. You read that right. Capturing ships is going to be part of the game!
Also, buildings will now be visible on the map without you having to click on the settlements that they're in, so you'll be able to click on them and upgrade directly from the map. Apart from the added convenience, this means you'll now be able to see at a glance how developed a region is without trawling through a menu to investigate, and in addition use your armies to attack and destroy individual buildings.
So we must bid farewell to the city construction screen? And proper order too. Being able to see the state of your province at a quick glance will be of great benefit to players who tire of labouring through the old city construction screens.
- More M2TW: Kingdoms News
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on October 3, AD 2007 @ 7:39 PM
- Total War games go from strength to strength because:
Medieval II: Total War Kingdoms has been nominated for a BAFTA in the Strategy and Simulation category. The winners of the British Academy Video Games Awards will be announced at the ceremony on Tuesday 23rd October 2007 at Battlesea Evolution.
Also, the fourth gameplay video from the Americas Campaign in Kingdoms has been released and can be downloaded here
- Two New History Articles
- Posted by Gaius Colinius on October 3, AD 2007 @ 7:34 PM
- Now that I'm back from holidays, I can begin to start catching up. First up is a very thorough & in-depth overview of the Mongol Invasions of China by Bloodswan. Next up is a piece I wrote on King John I of England which looked at his character and he certainly was as colourful a character as any who sat upon the throne of England with petty vengeances & murdering of relatives to his name.
MEDIEVAL II: TOTAL WAR HEAVEN Copyright © 2006-2018 HeavenGames LLC. All Rights Reserved. The graphical images and content enclosed with this document are viewable for private use only. All other rights - including, but not limited to, distribution, duplication, and publish by any means - are retained by HeavenGames LLC. Federal law provides criminal and civil penalties for those found to be in violation. In addition, please read our Disclaimer and Privacy Statement. MEDIEVAL II: TOTAL WAR © 2006 Creative Assembly. All rights reserved. THIS SITE IS NOT ENDORSED BY THE CREATIVE ASSEMBLY OR SEGA , PLEASE READ...