Posted on 08/03/08 @ 10:09 PM (updated 09/25/08
Medieval II Total War: Mongolphobia Mod v2.1 README By: EL_Bandito(HG)
This review is a part of the readme file. Please read through the complete readme file enclosed with the Mod before you begin the merging.
IMPORTANT: The Mongolphobia Mod and all the versions are done with M:TW2 “Kingdoms” Expansion plus the Retrofit Mod by Scott “Unspoken Knight” Lowther and the Grand Unit Addon Mod v6 by Candelarius aka Yakaspat. Therefore it is vital that you have already installed the expansion and the above two mods before adding mine.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
III. EXTRACTING AND MERGING THE FILES
IV. TECHNICAL CHANGES MADE
V. QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
VI. LEGAL INFORMATION
This mod features three previously unplayable factions; The Mongols, and the Timurids, and the Papal States with freshly buffed strengths and brand new units.
One thing always riled me was the lack of true strength of the Mongols in the vanilla version of M2:TW. Calling the Mongols best cavalry faction was almost a joke. Therefore, I took time to forge the Mongols and the Timurids into a truly decimating force that people will mention with fear. Also helps the TW veterans a better stone to grind their skills. Added a few imaginary units too.
The Papal States received brand new units in version 2, some ridiculously powerful, for players enjoyment. Pray that you won’t be excommunicated. : p
Fixed some bugs in patch 2.1 that our fellow forummers pointed out.
The mod took me about 100 hours to make so please try to appreciate the work I put into it. That means you should copy and distribute this mod to whoever interested in it without consulting me. It is for everyone^_^
REQUIREMENTS are as follows:
1. A functioning PC with installed M2:TW, “Kingdoms” Expansion plus the Retrofit Mod by Scott “Unspoken Knight” Lowther and the Grand Unit Addon Mod v6 by Candelarius aka Yakaspat
2. Nerve to mess around with your M2:TW files.
3. Foresight to back up (make copies and store it elsewhere where you can find it easily) the files which you are about to change.
IMPORTANT: Mongolphobia Mod version 2 is a stand alone mod. Thus you don’t need to install version 1 first or anything. If you have version 1 installed already, the addition won’t cause any technical problem. I think. :p
III. EXTRACTING AND MERGING THE FILES
The Mod will be in compressed mode when you download it so first of all it needs to be extracted. Any unzip/extract programs will do the job. There should be six folders inside the Mongolphobia Mod v2 folder along with this README file. They are labeled:
Dump Contents in Data folder
Dump Contents in Imperial Campaign folder
Dump contents in Menu folder
Dump Contents in Text folder
Dump Contents in Unit_Info folder
Dump Contents in Units folder
What I want you to do is to get the files inside of those six folders and put them in the corresponding folders of your own game, thus replacing the files. Here are their locations. Don’t worry, the procedure is very simple. Just a matter of copy and paste ^_^
IMPORTANT: I don’t want you to simply replace the folders with the ones I gave you. What I do want you to do is to take the files inside my folders and put them into your original Retrofit folders thus replacing some, not all of them. Those who played my Mongolphobia version 1 should have no problems, hehe.
If the computer asks you to replace any identical files click YES. Finally, start your M2:TW and enjoy the changes.
IV. TECHNICAL CHANGES MADE
1. Basically, the Mongols, Timurids, and the Papal States factions are enabled through the manipulation of the descr_strat file. Additional changes such as faction victory requirements are added in the descr_win_conditions, plus victory condition TGAs.
The faction family members, their traits, and troop compositions are completely made up to this editor’s preferences and if you think you can do it better then by all means go ahead and change it in the descr_strat file. It is quite easy actually.
The settlement of Bulgar is changed to the Mongol capital while Damascus became Timurid capital with the addition of Aleppo. The capital cities are edited so they have more population and more buildings to start with, compared with the default settings. Edited it so the Mongols and the Timurids are at war with the Rebels faction just like everyone else and they also are somewhat hostile to their immediate neighbors. Oh, they are allied to each other.
2. I tweaked most of the Mongol units, and to a lesser extent, Timurid units so they are more powerful than before. Should be very challenging to play against the two factions now. Replaced several old units with brand new ones such as Mongol Smoke Bombers, Mangudai Lancers, Devil’s Tongue Elephants, Inferno Catapults, and Byzantine Shotgunners. Trust me, you will piss in your pants when you see the Heaven’s Wrath Mortar. :p
3. Added upkeep to Mongol/Timurid horde units as well but made it lower to match historical accuracy.
4. Along with the 3 new factions, the Rebel faction also enabled as well. Play them at your own risk, haha :D
5. Certain units like the Azabs, Noble Highland Archers, and Norse Swordsmen were buffed so they will be picked a bit more I hope.
VERSION 2 CHANGES (yes, the version which you are about to install)
Strategy map changes
1. Aztecs received Timbuktu and Arguin. Now you can fight them in the Old World. They have powerful infantry augmented by slow moving undead. Watch out.
2. The Russians received Smolensk to better resist the might of the Mongols. Eventually they will fall though, like everyone else. MUAHAHAHAHA!
3. Scotland received Inverness, hopefully now they can have some chance fighting off the English.
4. HRE army near Hamburg relocated for better AI Danish expansion early on.
5. Scotland and France are allied.
6. Rome and Constantinople have Swordsmith’s Guild from the beginning. Bulgar received Master Horse Breeder’s Guild.
7. Mongol reinforcements will now include the fearsome Royal Keshiks. Kublai (not yet a khan) will appear as reinforcement as well. His army will make you cry.
1. Papal States received 6 brand new units: the Four Retainers of Apocalypse, Paladins, and uber powerful Seraphim. Flagellants became a Papal States exclusive unit. Most of them will be recruited from religious buildings such as Abbey and Cathedral.
2. Sailors of the Italian States are now recruited for various levels of Ports.
3. Most gunpowder artillery now have 3 pieces instead of 2. Makes field battles more enjoyable.
4. Many Mongol artillery units and light archers received the ability to plant stakes before battle.
5. Late Crossbowmen and Byzantine spearmen are buffed heavily. Now they are very useful.
6. Any "lancer" type cavalry got movespeed upgrade. Hopefully people will use them more. Especially against the elusive Mongols.
7. Ribault and Monster Ribault got range upgrade. They will shoot as far as Musketeers.
8. Any Dismounted ________ Knights numbers reduced to 2/3 of the original for better historical accuracy. Their main task will now be storming or defending settlements. Cost and Upkeep reduced accordingly.
9. Handgunners and Arquebusiers attack range buffed slightly.
10. Javelin throwing infantry and cavalry attack range buffed slightly.
Many mercenaries can now be recruited from faction settlements as well as also being available from their regions. Will help to cover the shortcomings of various factions and makes some factions even more unique.
1. Papacy got Mercenary Monster Ribaults, Great Cross, Unhorsed Knights and Catalans.
2. Byzantines got Mercenary Ribaults and Rocket Elephants.
3. England got Flemish Pikemen
4. Milan got Condotteri, Free Company MMA, Mercenary Dismounted German Knights, Mercenary German Knights, Swiss Pikemen.
5. Denmark and Poland got Merc Pavise Crossbowmen.
6. Sicily got Mercenary Arquebusiers.
29. HRE got Landschneckt Pikemen.
30. France got Saxon Huscarls.
31. Scotland got Mercenary Welsh Longbowmen.
32. Timurids got Mercenary Elephant Artillery. These awesome units will now shoot projectiles equivalent to exploding Basilisk shots. Effective versus units and buildings alike albeit somewhat inaccurate.
1. All religious buildings’ happiness and religious bonus buffed. Heresy will be less of a headache now.
2. Mongols and Timurids can now train Imams so they can combat heretics and call Jihads freely. Infidels, beware!
1. Reduced Rebels and Pirates chance of appearing.
2. Units will not rebel even without a general to guide them. It should offer more movement freedom to the players.
3. Removed the annoying “fire_by_rank” attribute from Musketeers and Arquebusiers. Now they have faster firing rates, with less interruptions in between. Gun lovers will…errr…love it.
4. Mongol Heaven’s Wrath Mortar now fires very fast. Be very, very afraid.
5. Edited the opening load screen. Should be better. ;)
ETC….. I did made many other small changes and tweaks to units and buildings which I do not quite remember. Sufficient to say, the changes were for the better.
PATCH 2.1 changes
1. Mercenary Ribaults and Merc Monster Ribaults still had 2 engines. I fixed it to 3.
2. I switched some rebel forces on the British Isles, so now Dublin is easier to take as the Scots. Otherwise Scotland simply sits there if noone takes Dublin.
3. Replaced Byzantine Cavalry with Armored Cavalarii--a new unit. Basically it is a mail clad horse archer unit on an eastern armored horse shooting bodkin(AP) arrows. Main task is to overpower any steppe horse archers while surviving through their heavy armor, and do reasonably well in melee. Weakness lies in expensive cost to recruit (most expensive HA unit) and weak morale. Value of 7 actually.
4. Tweaked further some unit prices and recruitablitity.
5. Papal States can now recruit powerful Crusader Sergeants and Crusader Knights from Garrison Quarters, and Baron's Stables from Castles.
6. Relocated Pope army and a couple rebel army to a better location.
V. QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
Q. Why isn’t Chinggis the leader of the Mongols?
A. I am a big fan of Chinggis’s oldest son Jochi, and historically his son Batu kicked ass along with general Subedei (Subutai in the game) in their European campaign. That is why I included those three as starting generals for the Mongols. Besides, in the game only the name “Genghis” is available and I hate that mispronounced name.
Q. Timur is the only family member in the beginning! And he is single!
A. Yes and I planned it so. Historically, Timur the Lame had built up his empire only through his wits alone and I want the players to experience the same situation. Don’t worry. Timur is an unrivalled general compared to his contemporaries with only 27 years of age, and he’s got a good mix of heavy troops to start with. Soon enough you will receive adoptions and marriages, so as long as you don’t get Timur killed in the first 5 turns, you will be fine.
Q. Are the Mongol/Timurid invasion events still enabled?
A. Yes. Although this time they will appear as reinforcements rather than horde units. Since they have upkeep so they will heavily drain your/AI’s economy. Still they are very experienced troops and I’m sure you want to keep them. Tops the challenge by a notch if you are fighting against them as well.
Q. The Papal units are too unrealistic and too WTFBBQ.
A. You are no fun.
Q. Where can I find you for suggestions and questions?
A. Look below.
Q. I have trouble with getting your mod to work.
A. Try restarting (NOT REINSTALLING) your M2:TW after you replaced those files. I hope to God you backed up your original files incase you messed up. If it still doesn’t work then contact me through the Medieval II forums in www.rtw.heavengames.com. Mongolian players can contact me in www.asuult.net and go to the computer game forums section within. A member Arcus has a topic for Total War fans which I visit frequently. Place your question there. You can also reach me through my e-mail : email@example.com although I only check it twice a week. ____________________________________________________________________
VI. LEGAL INFORMATION (bet you don’t wanna read this boring part)
You can read, duplicate, and print out (or wipe your ass with) all the files in the compressed folder whenever you feel like it, and it is my wish to let this mod reach everyone who wants it. So give away! Just think about me EL_Bandito in a good way time to time. Lastly-----
The Creative Assembly Limited. Total War, Medieval II: Total
War, Medieval II Total War: Kingdoms and the Total War logo are trade
marks or registered trade marks of The Creative Assembly Limited in the
United Kingdom and/or other countries. YADDA YADDA.
All other trademarks and trade names are the
properties of their respective owners. All rights reserved. BLAH BLAH.
“No Medieval strategy game is truly perfect if they don’t have Mongols in it!”—honest statement
HAVE FUN! HAVE FUN! HAVE FUN! HAVE FUN! HAVE FUN! HAVE FUN! HAVE FUN!
|Author||Comments & Reviews ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )|
where can i download the Retrofit Mod by Scott “Unspoken Knight” Lowther and the Grand Unit Addon Mod v6 by Candelarius aka Yakaspat.